Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Furniture Makeover Series #2 - Simply Vintageous...by Suzan

Hi everyone!!! Simply Vintageous...by Suzan at your service again this week LOL SHE'S BACKKKKKKKKKK!!! Just when you thought it was safe to visit the Inspiration Cafe! Here I am with my second installment - and there's going to be a third one before you get rid of me LMHO!!! This is a long post - beware! A few weeks ago I received an email out of the blue from someone I had bought a piece of furniture from over a year ago - she had a table that she thought I might be interested in.


A little antique drop leaf table? Yes please! Can you remember when those flowers were the " rage " ? not sure what they were painted with but they were really difficult to sand off - and they HAD to be sanded off because they were raised - it was sort of like glue - came off in clumps and little balls all over the place but I finally got them sanded down and began the process of reinventing this little cutie pie. I decided I wanted to do a Herringbone pattern on this and here's how I did it Not sure how great a tutorial this is because I tend to not measure - I kind of eyeball things - sometimes it doesn't work out lol - but most of the time it does............. here we go I first gave it a couple of coats of pink paint - sorry the photo below is after only 1 coat and you can clearly see that it needs another one at this point................. The legs had already been painted white - so just needed one coat on them.  Already it's looking so clean and pretty.


Next I prepped the surface to make a herringbone pattern ( or you can call it Chevron - or you can call it Zig Zag ( remember that skit? well you can call me Ray or you can call me ............... ) First by putting 3 strips of painters tape down the length of the table - again - only eyeballing it!  You may choose to do the wise thing and measure - I kind of like things better when they're not " factory " looking perfect ( plus I'm just a little bit lazy - and far too impatient )


then I started on the angled stripes - the only thing that's important here is that you get the zig zags to " meet " at the peaks..............this is really as easy as it gets.


Once I finished that, I then went back and did another row in between each zig zag


Not necessary - it just depends how far apart you want your pattern to be. I then painted in between the tape with Annie Sloan Pure White.


You can make yourself a cup of tea at this point - NOT WINE - wine and zig zags are dangerous together


Is that a bubble in my tea? My mother swears that means money is coming your way................ A typical conversation with my Mother would go like this Mumsy says - Oh Susie - you're going to get money!!! Susie says  - Mom - you always say that - it's just bubbles in my tea Mumsy says  - well last week I had bubbles in my tea - and guess what - my pension cheque came in the next day  ( this is a TRUE conversation ) Susie says - But it ALWAYS comes in on the first of the month Mumsy says - well I'm just saying - it always happens - that's all Susie says - What are you going to do if you don't get bubbles in your tea next month - will your pension cheque not come? Mumsy says - Don't be ridiculous Susie says - I try not to be Mom, I try not to be........................... Ok you're not here for that lol This is how it looks with all the white finished on the top
.

I remove the tape as soon as I'm done - I never wait for the paint to dry because often it will remove some of the base color ( in this case the pink ) if it's been on too long - painters tape should always be removed when your paint is still tacky Should I mail this to you Danni - you could probably make something awesome with it for St Paddy's day!!!


and here's the result


I then decided I should have done the drop leafs too ( originally I was going to stencil something on them ) And here it is all done! I'm going to advertise this as multi functional So first up here it is as a changing table


Baskets or bins - or even a toy box can be stored underneath You can lift up the back drop leaf to keep things handy


and then when a changing table is no longer needed it can become a craft table / desk by lifting out the front drop leaf


opening up both leaves makes it a perfect " games " table as princess grows...........


and then when play time is finished - it quickly can go back to being a bedside table........... all folded up and out of the way


what a difference a little paint makes, right?


I'm thinking this one may sell - because there were bubbles in my TEA after all - and if not, well there goes Mumsy's theory all shot to hell! Thanks again Ladies for having me!!! It really is an honor............. See you all next week

33 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial! The table looks really beautiful!!! I'm waiting to hear if Danni takes you up on the offer to send her the used tape! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail - lol - I thought of her right away!!!
      XXX

      Delete
  2. Well, bubbles or not, I am sure this will sell because it is beautiful. Love the stripes. I was expected typography of some kind knowing you. But you did create a multi-functional table! (Danni could use that green painter's tape to make streamers for St. Pat's Day!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna - streamers - perfect - did you hear that Danni?
      XXX

      Delete
  3. What, no letters, words or graphics?? LOL
    Pretty table, I like the soft pink,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I know - but at least if got a Chevron Pattern LOL
      XOX

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous Suzan!!! I'm sure some little girl, or little girl at heart, will adore this table and want to take it home. I love the pink... soooo sweet. (I have no doubt Danni could do something fabulous with that tape.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tuula - let's see how long it sits here waiting for that little girl - before I have to change it again LOL
      XOX

      Delete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous Suzan!!! I'm sure some little girl, or little girl at heart, will adore this table and want to take it home. I love the pink... soooo sweet. (I have no doubt Danni could do something fabulous with that tape.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure your moms right lol it looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha - we'll see - if it sells I'll never doubt her again!!!
      XOX

      Delete
  7. I love the soft pink herringbone. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO beautiful, Please send Danni the tape I'm sure she could do something amazing with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny but true Mel! Danni can make something cool from just about anything.

      Delete
    2. lol - she SO could, I'm sure!!!
      thanks Mel!
      XXX

      Delete
  9. This is beautiful! Totally up-date and chic! Love it! Susan...I think I am going to be having some Poutine soon! Thank you so so much! So sweet of you!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen!
      ( and I'm so happy you received the envelope!
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  10. Suzan this is beautiful! I love the subtle colors you used for the pattern. It turned out so pretty. I have a table that is very similar but all I did with mine is paint it white. Now it seems boring ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Sherry - I'm sure yours is gorgeous - and if I can't sell this like this - it's defintely going all white !!!!
      XOX

      Delete
  11. This a such a great makeover Suzan. I love the pink. Funny how those flowers are so darn hard to remove,I also have a project that has raised flowers and I've sanded and sanded and I can still see the things lol. xxx Nat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those raised flowers were a complete nightmare to be honest with you!!!
      They were definitely oil paint - and put on incredibly thick!!!
      Thanks so much Natalie!
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  12. See, now I understand the "buble tea"! I still love the table, even though I'm jealous you can drink tea while doctors forbid it to me for the time being!!! In my bedrooom there used to be a mural with a volcano and red flowers (I know, weird, heh?) and the flowers were a nightmare to sand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Magali - I would go crazy without me tea..................
      I would also go crazy without my wine though LOL
      XXX

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the tutorial, Suzan. I get too impatient to tape things off, but it's worth it for this look!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great transformation, Suzan! So much cleaner & prettier looking.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful transformation, Suzan! So soft and pretty. Awesome tutorial! You are right, Danni could whip up something awesome out of the green tape! :) Thanks for the great share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - I guess we all know Danni by now right LOL
      XOX

      Delete
  16. I am desperate to have something to makeover and use this technique. Gorgeous!! Danni totally would use that green tape for something. Love it. That woman can re-use anything. I love this table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heather!!!
      I think I should have just sent it to her lmho..............
      XOX

      Delete
  17. Sitting here with a straw blowing bubbles in my tea ;)
    Suzan! You are so funny and so very talented! So blessed to know you here in bloggy land! I LOVE your blog! I'm so happy to see you hanging out here at Inspiration Cafe, because you definitely inspire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Sherry - don't waste your time on the tea LMHO- it definitely doesn't work!!!
      XOX

      Delete